Saturday, August 1, 2009

Overnight Blueberry Breakfast Casserole

Right after my son was born I was invloved in MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at my church. At MOPS they would have different discussion groups host a breakfast buffet for the month. I was trying to figure out how to juggle a newborn, make a casserole, and get ready for a much needed morning with other moms all by 9 am. The week before I was scheduled to make a dish I started reseaching. I went to one of my favorite recipe sites...allrecipes.com . I found the perfect recipe to make the night before MOPS so that in the morning I could get ready and take care of my newborn. IT WAS AMAZING! Since then I have made this dish over 25 times for different brunches, MOPS breakfasts, and family gatherings. IT is 100% yummy and super easy. If you are looking for a dish to make the night before without any hassles this is the dish for you. Let me know if you like it.



INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
1.5(8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes ( I have used 1/3 less fat and it works)
1 cup fresh blueberries
10 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar


1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon butter


DIRECTIONS
Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over mixture.
Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.
In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment